Welcome to the first earth-shattering episode of Legends of the Batman, the show covering everything Batman — from the beginning! The show’s premise is a simple one. Each episode, we cover a month of Batman, be it comic books, television, movies, whatever, starting with his first appearance in 1939.
As this is the first episode, your hosts Michael Kaiser and Michael Bradley talk a bit more in detail about the show’s premise and it’s origin, as well as their own history with the Dark Knight. They then get down to business with a look at Batman’s first appearance from DETECTIVE COMICS #27, which find Batman unraveling the mystery of murder and betrayal in “The Case of the Chemical Syndicate!”
Things We Learned:
- Batman is more important than homework;
- Commissioner Gordon likes to repeat things on the phone;
- Batman and Bruce Wayne have the same taste in cars;
- The basement isn’t always the basement;
- Batman is really… OMG!
Images from Coverage:
- Homages to the historic cover of Batman’s first appearance have appeared on DETECTIVE COMICS #627 by Norm Breyfogle and DETECTIVE COMICS #853 by Andy Kubert and Scott Williams, as well as an interior panel from KINGDOM COME #2 by Alex Ross (a look at the full artwork can be seen on a card from the Kingdom Come Xtra trading card set). Michael Kaiser found the #853 cover after recording, so it’s a show notes bonus!
- From Crisis to Crisis: A Superman Podcast, hosted by Michael Bailey and Jeffrey Taylor. One of the earliest “comic casts” either of the Michaels heard (check the links in the sidebar for more great shows).
How to Get this Episode
There are a few ways you can get this episode. You can listen immediately by clicking on the player below. You can also download the episode directly or subscribe to the show via iTunes or the RSS feed! Questions or comments? Additions or corrections? Drop us a line! And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter, as well!