Welcome to episode three of Legends of the Batman, the show covering everything Batman — from the beginning! The show’s premise is a simple one. Each episode, we cover a month of Batman, be it comic books, television, movies, whatever, starting with his first appearance in 1939.
More excitement, more thrills, more pages! That’s what’s up when Michael Kaiser and Michael Bradley look at the Batman story from DETECTIVE COMICS #29…. where an arch criminal sets out to eliminate the only thing standing in the way of his dastardly plans: The Batman! Our hero faces his most dangerous foe yet when “The Batman Meets Doctor Death!”
Things We Learned:
- Batman has a horrible, horrible secret identity;
- Green and orange suits aren’t the fashion faux pas that you might think;
- Crimes are easier to solve when you see your villain’s henchman taking a casual stroll;
- Secret trap doors are surprisingly useful;
- Who needs Batarangs when you can use a fire extinguisher?
Images from Coverage:
- An homage to the cover this episode’s issue appeared in an interior panel in BATMAN: STREETS OF GOTHAM #20 by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs.
- The infamous Bat-credit card scene from “Batman and Robin”
- A lark on Doctor Death’s, er, death… courtesy of the web cartoon “Shortpacked!” by David Willis (another show notes bonus!)
How to Get this Episode
There are a few ways you can get this episode. You can listen immediately by clicking on the player below. You can also download the episode directly or subscribe to the show via iTunes or the RSS feed! Questions or comments? Additions or corrections? Drop us a line! And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter, as well!