Welcome to episode 14 of Legends of the Batman, the show covering everything Batman — from the beginning! The show’s premise is a simple one. Each episode, we cover a month of Batman, be it comic books, television, movies, whatever, starting with his first appearance in 1939.
This episode, your hosts Michael Bradley and Michael Kaiser take on the first issue of Batman’s very own book, as they examine Batman material released in April of 1940. And to help celebrate this important “first” in bat-history, the guys do a “first” for the show and bring in some guest hosts, Joshua Bertone, Donovan Grant and Jon Wilson, from Amazing Spider-Man Classics, to help then discuss DETECTIVE COMICS #39 and BATMAN #1!
Things We Learned:
- Hatchet shenanigans are way too dangerous for Robin.
- The Joker likes to collect pretty shiny things.
- The Kill Count went out with a hang.
- Batman wages war on all criminals, except girls.
- Jazzercise is a great way to stay in superhero shape.
Images from Coverage:
- Conrad Viedt, the inspiration for the Joker.
- Steeplechase Park ad, another inspiration for the Joker, or possibly his victims.
- “The Batcave Companion” by Michael Eury and Michael Kronenberg – recommended reading for all Bat-fans
- Homages to the cover of the historic BATMAN #1 include the covers to BATMAN: A LONELY PLACE OF DYING trade paperback by George Perez, FANBOY #5 by Sergio Aragones, BATMAN #686 by Andy Kubert, DARKWING DUCK #7 by James Silvani, and an interior panel from DC UNIVERSE: LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT by Adam Kubert and John Dell!
- Jean Harlow, inspiration for The Cat.
About the Guests
Thanks again to Jon, Donovan and Josh for coming on for this special episode. Be sure to catch the guys on Amazing Spider-Man Classics! You can also find Jon solo on Golden Age Superman as well as on The Mighty Shield: A Captain America Podcast with Legends of the Batman co-host Michael Kaiser and Teenage Wasteland: An Ultimate Spider-Man Podcast. You can find Donovan and Josh regularly on The Batman Universe podcast as well as Clone Saga Chronicles. And don’t miss Donovan’s reviews at the Spider-Man Crawlspace and Josh’s podcasts, Marvel Star Wars and Bertone Beatle Bonanza!
How to Get this Episode
There are a few ways you can get this episode. You can listen immediately by clicking on the player below. You can also download the episode directly or subscribe to the show via iTunes or the RSS feed! Questions or comments? Additions or corrections? Drop us a line! You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter, to send us your thoughts, as well! And don’t forget to check out our partners, Batman: Yesterday, Today and Beyond for all sorts of Batman goodness in non-podcast form.