Welcome to episode 16 of Legends of the Batman, the show covering everything Batman — from the beginning! The show’s premise is a simple one. Each episode, we cover a month of Batman, be it comic books, television, movies, whatever, starting with his first appearance in 1939.
Michael Bradley and Michael Kaiser return to cover all Batman material released in June of 1940, which drops back down to one comic again, DETECTIVE COMICS #41, where Robin must go undercover to solve a kidnapping, a murder and the mystery of the Masked Man!
Things We Learned:
- The escaped maniac isn’t always the villain.
- Bruce is always in the right place at the wrong time.
- Batman’s costume apparently attracts way more attention than Robin’s.
- Verizon Wireless ain’t got nothing on utility belt buckles.
- Do not enroll your children into Blake’s School for Boys.
Images from Coverage:
- Michael B. referenced THE ALL-NEW BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #7, containing a flashback to the first meeting between Alan Scott and a brand new Batman, who very much resembles the Batman from 1939.
- Michael K. used to have to cover his school books with paper bags. Here’s a how-to for those who want to try it.
How to Get this Episode
There are a few ways you can get this episode. You can listen immediately by clicking on the player below. You can also download the episode directly or subscribe to the show via iTunes or the RSS feed! Questions or comments? Additions or corrections? Drop us a line! You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter, to send us your thoughts, as well! And don’t forget to check out our partners, Gotham Knights Online, an excellent site for current Batman news and reviews.